Forestry Web links
The following web links are provided to encourage an exchange of ideas and information regarding the forests, forest industry, and wood products of Kentucky. Opinions and information expressed do not reflect an official position of the Department of Forestry.
- provides information on regional continuing education programs and materials from all the southern forestry cooperative extension programs. It also provides links to all of the southern forestry school extension programs.
Kentucky Forest and Forestry Organizations
- is the state agency responsible for protecting and enhancing the forest resources of the Commonwealth. This agency is engages in a number of important services for the state including: technical assistance and management plan development to woodland owners through their Stewardship Program, suppression of forest fires, and inventory of the state's forests.
- is the only statewide forestry organization devoted to Kentucky's Private Woodland Owners.
- is the official organization of consulting foresters that are members of the American Association of Consulting Foresters. These foresters work in Kentucky and provide woodland owners with a range of forestry services including timber sales, forest management planning, trespass evaluation and other forestry related work.
- is an organization composed of and exists to help Christmas tree growers in Kentucky.
- represents the wood industry in Kentucky. Its association office is in Frankfort and members cover both primary and secondary manufacturing. Membership classes are also available for loggers, and associated professionals as well as forest landowners.
- The Kentucky Forest Health Task Force mission: identify and prioritize threats of insects, disease, invasive species, and environmental factors to the integrity of Kentucky's forest resources, and recommend sound and timely approaches to addressing them.
- is the Commonwealth's agency responsible for game and non-game wildlife populations and habitat improvement. The agency also focuses on wildlife awareness and education through its publications and TV shows.
- is Kentucky's 700,000 acre National Forest located in eastern Kentucky from Morehead to the Tennessee Border.
As part of America’s great outdoors since 1963, Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area manages over 170,000 acres of forests, wetlands, and open lands on a peninsula between Kentucky and Barkley lakes in Western Kentucky and Tennessee.
- is the statewide comprehensive continuing education program for loggers.
- represents the profession foresters (government, private, university) in both Kentucky and Tennessee. Kentucky has both an east and west chapter.
National and Regional Associations
AMERICAN FOREST & PAPER ASSOCIATION
FOREST RESOURCES ASSOCIATION
COUNCIL ON FOREST ENGINEERING
NATIONAL WOODLAND OWNERS ASSOCIATION
SOCIETY OF AMERICAN FORESTERS
THE FOREST GUILD
ASSOCIATION OF CONSULTING FORESTERS OF AMERICA
FOREST STEWARDSHIP COUNCIL
USA BEST MANAGEMENT PRACTICES